Welcome to this mini article on a £50 a day business. It’s practical and far from fancy. But it’s a real business you can start today with just £5.
You’re going to be washing cars.
People will ALWAYS need their car cleaned and it will work in literally any city in the world.
My friends and I would hit the streets on the weekends and return home with bulging pockets after a hard days work.
Before you get started, give this guide a read on how to wash a car properly.
Where you add value
- Car owners will have clean, shiny car that looks brand new
- Customer time by not having to drive to the nearest car wash
- “Pay what you think is reasonable” pricing strategy (see below)
- Chamois cloth
- Leaflets/flyers (optional)
- Transport (optional)
- Company t-shirt (optional)
Step by step method
- Find an affluent residential area (large estates are goldmines – the more cars in the drive the better)
- Walk up to the front door and ring the door bell
- Be polite and articulate, explaining that you’ve just started a mobile car cleaning business and are starting out by cleaning cars in the local area.
- Don’t have a fixed price list in your head. Extract your customers willingness to pay by simply asking the question “please pay whatever you think is reasonable”, when the customer asks how much your services cost. This will maximise consumer welfare, and we know how important customer satisfaction is in the running of a small business.
- Make sure you can access the customers hose/tap
- Wash the car to a high standard. If you want to earn extra money per job, offer to clean the inside of the car too. I’ve been paid £30 for cleaning the outside and inside of a car, which only took 40 minutes! That beats any part-time job which are capped at around £10 an hour.
- Give the customer your business card/leaflet (optional. see below)
- Rinse and repeat (pun not intended).
- You now run a £50 a day business!
If you want to go the extra step, use a company like Vistaprint and design a leaflet advertising your car cleaning services and print a few hundred of them. These can be used as a marketing tool to gain work, or can simply be given to your customers after you’ve cleaned their cars to promote repeat customers.
If you’re looking for some more scalable business methods, then check out our dropshipping guide that can also be started on a low budget.